IPhone Battery Explodes At Zurich Apple Store, One Injured: Reports
Viernes, 17 Agosto, 2018


IPhone Battery Explodes At Zurich Apple Store, One Injured: Reports

An iPhone is seen on display at a kiosk at an Apple reseller store in Mumbai India An iPhone is seen on display at a kiosk at an Apple reseller store in Mumbai India
Eloisa Felix | Enero 10, 2018, 10:38

A report in Watson says that all three emergency services - police, fire and ambulance - attended the store at Bahnhofstrasse 77 after receiving a call shortly after 10am today.

The physical damage to the iPhone battery resulted in a short-circuit between cathode and anode leading to fire and smoke.

When an iPhone overheated in an Apple store overnight, injuring an Apple employee, an immediate evacuation of more than 50 people staff and consumers had to be initiated according to Swiss police said.

Zurich police said the incident occurred as the repair worker was removing the battery, which overheated and burned his hand slightly.

"At the same time, there was a build-up of smoke, resulting in customers and employees having to leave the business temporarily", a police statement said. It then began emitting smoke, prompting the staff to throw quartz sand on it to contain the smoke and allow it to be ventilated. According to the police statement, the staff handled the situation impeccably; they sprinkled quartz sand over the exploded phone to contain the harmful fumes exuded by the battery.

Forensic specialists are currently investigating the incident.